Rebecca Potts Aguirre
b. 1982, Montana
2022 Cellular Connection, Angelica Kauffman Gallery, River Forest, IL
2007 Non-Geologic Maps of Mars, Stain Gallery, Brooklyn, NY
2006 Lines In The Sand, Kush Café, Curated by Dmitry Gubin, Brooklyn, NY
2006 Playing In Fields, Grand Central Bar, Brooklyn, NY
2005 The Ramble, Draker Solar, Burlington, VT
2004 Waddamana, Community Justice Center, Burlington, VT
2000 Rebecca Potts, Eye of the Beholder Gallery, Missoula, MT
- Color 2022, CICA Museum (Czong Institute for Contemporary Art), South Korea
- Touch & Go 2.0, Altadena Library, Altadena, CA
- Summatime For Your Mind, Holistic Vibez, Corona, CA
- Metaverse, Schmetaverse, Doors, Los Angeles, CA
- Water, Art Show International, Online
- Touch & Go, dA Center For The Arts, Pomona, CA
- The Bonds of Family, Santa Clarita Arts, Santa Clarita, CA
- acting balance[d], Spilt Milk Gallery, Online
- Remembering Together, SoLA Contemporary, Los Angeles, CA
- Coven, Stay Home Gallery, Paris, TN
- Maternochronics, Online
- Group Show, Another Year in LA, Los Angeles, CA, Online
- Art of Water V, James May Gallery, Algoma, WI, Online
- Sleepwalker, Milcon Gallery, Online
- Connections, Roaring Artist Gallery, Online, Juror: Adrienne Brown-David
- Hobson’s Choice 2.0, Torrance Art Museum, Torrance, CA, Online
- Group Show 4, Shrine, New York, NY, Online
- Powerful Little Things, Roaring Artist Gallery, Online
- Hope / Revolution, Stay Home Gallery, Paris, TN
- Home-Works, Spilt Milk Gallery, Online
- Here, There, & Elsewhere: Exploring the Idea of Place, Visionary Art Collective, Online, Juror: Svitlana Martynjuk
- Beyond the Pretty Picture, P.S. Arts Teaching Artist Exhibit, Online
- TOUCH, A Virtual Exhibition, Woman Made Gallery, Chicago, IL
- Paper Mill, Gallery 110, Seattle, WA
- She iS, Catapult Gallery at Southeast Missouri State University, Cape Girardeau, MO
- Art From Afar: The Shape of Content, Off The Cost, Online
- ART in PLACE (Self-Isolation), Standard Space, Online
- Willing The Season, Far x Wide, Online
- Better Homes, Art Share LA, Los Angeles, CA
- Art + Activism, SoLA Contemporary, Los Angeles, CA
2015-2017 The Pregnancy Pause, Designer of human life, Prague, Czech Republic
2012 GO Open Studio, Organized by the Brooklyn Museum, Brooklyn, NY
- Beyond Bicycles, Rock Paper Scissors Collective, Oakland, CA
- Crafting Place, sUgAR: University of Arkansas Gallery, Bentonville, AR
- The Annex LA April Exhibition, The Annex LA, Los Angeles, CA
- National Wet Paint Exhibition, Zhou B. Art Center, Chicago, IL, Curated by Sergio Gomez
- MFA Thesis Exhibition, The Mildred Lane Kemper Art Museum, St. Louis, MO
- Runneth Over, CBC Satellite Space, St. Louis, MO
- Undefined, Desotorow Gallery, Savannah, GA
- Black & White, The Luminary Center for the Arts, St. Louis, MO
- MISC: Video and Performance, New York Studio Gallery, New York, NY
- Calculating Art: Mathematics in the Visual Field, Therese A. Maloney Gallery: College of Saint Elizabeth, Morristown, NJ
- MFA First Year Exhibit: Part 1, Des Lee Gallery, St. Louis, MO
- Living Gallery Art Party, 128 W. 72nd, New York, NY, Curated by Heather Christensen
- Big Art Show, Laila Lounge, Brooklyn, NY
- Big Art Show, The Cinema, Philadelphia, PA
- SONYA Stroll Prelude Exhibit, ElevenTen Gallery, Brooklyn, NY
- La Poisson d’Avril, Frying Pan: Pier 63, New York, NY
2003 Voluminous, Entrepot Gallery: University of Tasmania Centre for the Arts, Hobart, Australia
Collaborative Projects & Exchanges
2022 Imaginary Meadows zine exchange, Reciprocal Works, curated by Katie Ford and River Wharton, Catskill, NY
2021 Creative X Change, Professional practice and critique group, SoLA Contemporary, Mentor: Adrian White, Los Angeles, CA
2021 Stay Home Sketch, a sketch book exchange with Stay Home Gallery represented artists
2020 Never Alone zine exchange, Reciprocal Works, curated by Katie Ford and River Wharton, Catskill, NY
Ty Bishop, Friend of the Artist, Volume 15, August 2022.
Gracie Kendal, “In the Artist’s Studio – A Photo Essay,” Art and Cake, March 28, 2022.
Victoria J. Fry, “Rebecca Potts Aguirre in Conversation with Victoria J. Fry,” New Visionary Magazine, January, 2022.
Studio Visit Artist, I Like Your Work podcast, May 2021.
Zara Kand, “Rebecca Potts of Teaching Artist Podcast,”The Gallerist Speaks, January 19, 2021.
Home-works Zine, Spilt Milk Gallery, September 2020.
Victoria J. Fry, Featured Artist + Educator, Visionary Art Collective, September 2020.
Ashlee Cowles, “Art as Therapy… and More” on The Most Creative Thing, May 2020.
Kris Williams, “Meet Rebecca Potts” in Voyage LA, April 20, 2020.
Studio Visit, Volume 18. A juried selection of international visual artists. The Open Studios Press, edited by Steven T. Zevitas, 2012.
Zhou B. Art Center, National Wet Paint Exhibition Catalogue, curated by Sergio Gomez, Jan-Feb 2010.
Interviewed on Kemper Art Waves. Mildred Lane Kemper Art Museum. KWUR, St. Louis. April 28, 2009.
Jana Harper, “Artists’ Books 2.0: DIY with POD.” The Blue Notebook, Vol. 2, No. 2. 2008.
Laura & Matt Grundler, “Episode 80 – Rebecca Potts Aguirre – Does Being an Artist and a Teacher Make Sense?” K-12 Art Chat, May 26, 2022.
EriQua Ohh, “Visual Artist – Rebecca Potts Aguirre,” The Artist Unmasked, February 2022.
Danielle LaBonté, “Time Management as an Art Teacher, Artist, Curator, and Parent with Rebecca Potts Aguirre,” Brewing Up Creativity, September 2021.
Megan Sweet and Susan Andrien, “The Teaching Artist Rebecca Potts,” The Awakening Educator, June 11, 2021.
Meredith Reed, “Rebecca Potts Aguirre,” Ossa Lounge Live, April 8, 2021.
Katie Olthoff, “103: Rebecca Potts – Artist, Teacher, Mom of Kindergartener in Los Angeles” on School At Home Podcast, September, 2020.
Kenny Ingersoll, “The Power of Art” on Dread No Mondays podcast, September 10, 2020.
“Navigating Dual Careers,” Column, New Visionary Magazine. April, 2022 – Present.
“Adjoa Burrowes in Conversation with Rebecca Potts Aguirre,” New Visionary Magazine, Issue 1. January, 2022.
“Creating a Fourth Culture.” In 20UNDER40: Re-Inventing the Arts and Arts Education for the 21st Century, edited by Eric P. Clapp, Dec 2010.
Lectures & Artist Talks
Artist Talk, Artist at Work: Cultivating the Creative Spirit (Artist-Mother Edition), May 28, 2022.
Artist Panel Discussion, Touch & Go, dA Center for the Arts, Pomona, CA, April, 2022.
Conference Presentation, Stories from the Field: A Curated Selection of Conversations Around Equity in the Art Classroom from Teaching Artist Podcast, CAEA Annual Conference, November 2021.
Artist Talk, Teaching Artists’ Lounge, November 2021.
Artist Talk, Artist/Mother Critique Groups, October 2021.
Artist Talk, Connections Exhibition Artist Talk Series, Roaring Artist Gallery, April 18, 2021.
Artist Talk, Artist/Mother Critique Groups, September 2020.
20UNDER40: Re-Inventing the Arts and Arts Education for the 21st Century Kick-Off Colloquium, Dec 2010, hosted at the Cloud Foundation, Boston, MA, Lecture: “Creating a Fourth Culture.”
Society for Photographic Education Midwest Regional Conference: Freeze/Thaw: Cycles in the American Heartland, Oct 2009, Minneapolis, MN, Lecture: “The Blue Gold Thaw.”
“Artist and Society” panel discussion participant. Moderated by Carmon Colangelo. Mildred Lane Kemper Museum, St. Louis, MO, May 2009.
Artist Talk, Therese A. Maloney Gallery: College of Saint Elizabeth, Morristown, NJ, 2008.
2021–Present Visual Arts K-12 Curriculum Designer, The Art of Education University, Osage, IA
2021–Present Visual Arts Content Developer, Council for Aid to Education, New York, NY
2017-2021 Teaching Artist, P.S. Arts, Los Angeles, CA
2017-2019 Painting Instructor, Paint: Lab, Santa Monica, CA
2014-2015 Fine Arts Teacher, International School of Music & Fine Arts, Prague, Czech Republic
2012-2014 Teaching Artist, Brooklyn Arts Council, Brooklyn, NY
2010-2012 Teaching Artist, Bronx River Art Center, Bronx, NY
2010 Arts Workshop Leader, ClimateChangeEducation.org, San Diego, CA
2009 Teaching Assistant, California State Summer School for the Arts, Valencia, CA
Printmaking courses with Lee Altman
Design courses with Anthony Ryan and Karen Ruenitz
2007-2009 Teaching Assistant, Washington University in St. Louis, MO
Urban Books: Imag(in)ing St. Louis: Environments with Jana Harper
2-D Design with Michelle Oosterbaan
Printmaking Elective: Themed & Boxed with Tom Huck
2004 Workshop Instructor, Creative Bookbinding, Middlebury College, Middlebury, VT
2004 Mural Service Learning Leader, Youth Environmental Summit, Fairlee, VT
2004–Present Admissions Interviewer, Alumni Admissions Committee: Middlebury College
2020–2022 Teaching Artists’ Lounge series of meetings & workshops co-facilitated & hosted
2021 Panelist, Artist/Mother Critique Group Artist Talks, Online
2013-2014 Fellow, Emerging Leaders of New York Arts (ELNYA), New York, NY
2012 Panelist, Community Arts Grants, Brooklyn Arts Council, Brooklyn, NY
2003-2004 Mural Volunteer Coordinator, Incarceration in Question, Rutland, VT
2022 Co-Curator, Touch & Go, dA Center for the Arts, Pomona, CA
2020–Present Host & Producer, Teaching Artist Podcast
2020–Present Founder & Curator, Play + Inspire Gallery
2020 Curator, See Where It Takes You, Contemporary Art for Young Audiences, Online
2020 Curator, Beyond the Pretty Picture, P.S. Arts Faculty Exhibit, Online
2013-2014 Design Committee, Emerging Leaders of New York Arts (ELNYA), New York, NY
2009 Co-Curator, Runneth Over, CBC Satellite Space, St. Louis, MO
2008-2010 Visual Arts Editor, ClimateChangeEducation.org
2008-2010 Gallery Assistant, Frank Pictures Gallery, Santa Monica, CA
2003-2004 Curator, Science Makes Art, Middlebury, VT
Honors, Awards, & Residencies
2022, Artist/Mother Virtual Artist Residency
2022, Honorable Mention, Art Show International: 2nd Water Juried Show
2021, Curated into the Visionary Art Collective artists directory
2020, Honorable Mention, Artreprenuer Open Call: Summer
2020, Curated into All She Makes directory of women creatives
2015–2017, An Artist Residency in Motherhood
2009, Finalist in the Lulu mini-book contest for the book Blue Gold Thaw
2007–2008, Laura & William Jens Scholar, Washington University in St. Louis
2004, Committee on Art in Public Places Award, Middlebury College Museum of Art
2009 MFA, Visual Arts, Sam Fox School of Design & Visual Arts at Washington University in St. Louis, MO
2004 BA, Magna cum laude, Studio Art & Geography, Middlebury College, VT